session 1: June 13-30th, 2013
session 2: July 4-21st, 2013
Each 3 week session will include the practices of Fresco, Canvas, Wood, Stone and Decorative paintings and plaster. Each session will begin with an introduction, practical 'hands on' experience, excursions and lectures. After introductions which are common to all areas,participants may choose a specific area of focus.
There are no prerequisites required to participate to our workshops.
The Frescoes that will be worked on and studied are part of the rupestral settlements (underground habitations) located in the Alta Murgia area.
Wood Statue and Canvases are provided by local churches and private collections and will be worked on onsite at Masseria La Selva.
Decorative study is conducted onsite at Masseria La Selva and will focus on natural materials and traditional techniques to create decorative reliefs in lime plaster, or plaster wall painting.
The sessions provide a practical focus, allowing students ample opportunity for participation in restoration technique and creation ex-novo. The workshops are complimented by seminars in Art History, Geomorphological Studies and Religious Iconography and Rituals. The courses also include several site visits, including visits to Sassi of Matera (Unesco World Heritage site), the Rupestral Churches Park, museums and art exhibitions. The workshops are led by Tonio Creanza director of Sinergie and Dr. Teresanna Loiodice, Cultural Heritage expert.
Common to all areas of workshops will include:
- Overview of the historical eras (prehistoric, roman, medieval, modern) and their related artistic currents. Introduction to the history of Italian art and, specifically, the arts in the Alta Murgia region.
- Geology and traditional natural materials used in antique arts and decoration.
- Physics and chemistry as they are applied during the scientific research and restoration processes.
- Techniques of documenting the research: writing reports, photo and video documentation.
- Preliminary techniques in the conservation process.
- Analysis of the pictorial pigments and structures.
- Common types of degradation and alteration.
- Planning restoration and conservation projects.
- Laboratory: practical restoration work.
Workshop Field Trips
Walking tour of 'centro storico' Altamura, Museums
Rupestral churches of Matera and the Museum of Art Palazzo Lanfranchi.
Restoration lab Soprintendenza dei Beni Artistici e Storici, Bari.
Day trip to Pompeii
Civic museum foundation "E Pomarici – Santomasi" at Gravina in Puglia
Includes: accommodation, meals, trasportation from and to Bari Airport or main Train Station and field trips, tuition and lectures, guided tours, entrance fees to art exhibitions, museums and archeological parks.
Does Not include: Personal costs such as airfare, trainfare or spending money; Health Insurance