The workshop will include the practices of conservation and restoration of fresco, canvas, frame making and gilding. The session will begin with an introduction, practical hands-on experience, excursions and lectures. After introductions which are common to all areas, participants may choose a specific area of focus.
There are no prerequisites required to participate to our workshops.
The frescoes that will be worked on and studied are part of the rupestral settlements (underground habitations) located in the Alta Murgia area.
Canvases are provided by local churches and private collections and will be worked on onsite at Masseria La Selva.
The session provides a practical focus, providing participants ample opportunity to practice restoration techniques and creation ex-novo. The workshops are complimented by seminars in Art History, Geomorphological Studies and Religious Iconography and Rituals. The program also includes several site visits, including visits to Sassi of Matera (Unesco World Heritage site), the Rupestral Churches Park, Pompeii, a restoration lab Soprintendenza dei Beni Artistici e Storici, museums and art exhibitions. The workshops are led by Tonio Creanza, founder and director of Messors, and visiting guest lecturers and instructors.
Common to all areas of workshops will include:
- Overview of the historical eras (prehistoric, roman, medieval, modern) and their related artistic currents
- Introduction to the history of Italian art and, specifically, the arts in the Alta Murgia region
- Geology and traditional natural materials used in antique arts and decoration
- Physics and chemistry as they are applied during the scientific research and restoration processes
- Preliminary techniques in the conservation process
- Analysis of the pictorial pigments and structures
- Common types of degradation and alteration
- Documenting during conservation process
- Laboratory: practical restoration work
Workshop field trips
Walking tour of centro storico of Altamura
Rupestral churches of Matera and the Museum of Art Palazzo Lanfranchi
Restoration lab Soprintendenza dei Beni Artistici e Storici, Bari or Matera
Pompeii - visit and lecture with archaeologist Emilano Tufano
Overnight stay in Naples - visit to Naples National Archaeological or Capodimonte Museum
Gravina - pottery survey at Botromangno site Beach swim
WORKSHOP FEE: 2,650 EUR
Includes: accommodation, meals and wine at lunch and dinner, transportation from and to Bari Airport or main Train Station and field trips, tuition and lectures, guided tours, entrance fees to art exhibitions, museums and archeological parks.
Does not include: personal costs such as airfare, train fare, health insurance or spending money.